Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thrice - Beggars

So I've only gotten into Thrice this past year. Enjoyed Vheissu. The Alchemy Index was very good and Artist in the Ambulance and Illusion of Safety are very good. I enjoy Thrice. They're a nice band. They make mine post-hardcore/emo. I have no problem with Thrice but I'm not a huge fan.

Beggars might be this years Anti-Mother, meaning it might not leave my cd player for the rest of the year. It's good. I mean it's really good. I knew it was good listening to it on myspace but having burn it onto a cd (It's currently an itunes only album. The actualy cd comes out in a month), it's very good. I'm completely in love with Beggars. From the opening bass line of All the World is Mad to the final guitar feedback on Beggars this is one quality record. This record continues Thrice's departure from the post-hardcore side of music plants them as a great rock band. It's not epic in scale but it is quality, solid, well written, well produced songs from start to finish.

The albums two opening tracks, All the World is Mad, and The Weight, are both kick you in the teeth, hard rocking songs. Circles bring things down in what I think is the prettiest song on the record. Doublespeak is a piano lead rock song. In Exile and At the Last are rocking songs, Wood and Wire breaks it back down, Through the Glass kicks it back up and the last two songs (The Great Exchange and Beggars) end the record very chill.

Dustin Kensrue has written some of the best and most personal lyrics I think he has ever written. Songs about love and being imperfect meld from to the other. I love the way is voice moves from quiet singing to yelling. I haven't heard anything by Thrice this compelling and this enjoyable. I highly encourage people to this album when the cd hits stores.

No comments: