Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A bad time in christian metal/hardcore?

Maybe because I'm older, maybe because current trends grate on me, or maybe because I don't get it, but I find the state of heavy music in Christianity to be pretty sad.

Speaking of the two labels that stand out, Facedown and Solid State, their line-ups are really weak. The only new band on Facedown that leaves any interest is Hands and when I look at their artist list No Innocent Victim is the only other Facedown band I care about and their about as old school christian hardcore as they come. Facedown's upstart label Strike First has very little to be desired. A Hope for Home had a solid debut but I have a feeling they will be heading in a more emo direction.

Solid State has a little more. Advent and the Chariot are solid. Becoming the Archetype and Oh Sleeper aren't terrible. Demon Hunter is good but it's all senior members of the christian heavy music scene. Soul Embraced is a side project band that's up in the air. Trenches is a project that was great but looks to have been a one and done deal. Norma Jean is no longer on the label. The most exciting and anticipated Solid State release, and possibly the most exciting christian metal release, is the brand new Living Sacrifice album, which has been pushed back to January, and Living Sacrifice have been around forever.

Outside of the two big heavy music labels there are bands scattered. As I Lay Dying is huge in the general market metal scene and a good band. We can't forget Zao who continue to put out great music. Maylene and the Sons of Disaster is creating great southern metal. Comeback Kid is pretty good.

Most of my excitement has been for reunions and the possibility of reunions. Focused has played a reunion show and Unashamed has announced a reunion. Everdown has a new album. Stretch Armstrong has announced 2 shows in 2010 and Blindside has a new album in 2010 but where are the new bands?

Where are the bands that are making quality metal and hardcore, that aren't concerned with trends or fashion? Am I just old? Am I missing out or not getting the great things that the teens are seeing in the current state of heavy music? Am I just being nostalgic for the old ole days? Were things not better 10 years ago?

Maybe this is a problem with the scene in general, that we've moved past what is raw and heavy sounding and that the bands who are moving away from triggered, fake drums and are just trying to right good, heavy music, maybe those bands are not the norm and probably not the bands that we'll see more of. Both Hands and Advent have albums that remind me of the old scene hxc scene, which I love. And maybe that's my problem. Maybe I just haven't grown and changed and the bands I like now are the bands I used to like and that's the way it is. Maybe good christian metal bands that would appeal to me either don't exist or aren't signed and making any waves.

It's like there are entire sub genres of the heavy music scene which just don't exist in christian music. I don't know. I remember the early days of Facedown Records. Figure Four, Dodgin' Bullets, Point of Recognition, Anchor, Torn in Two. Facedown was a hardcore label with some great early releases and a lot of quality music. And the old Solid State roster. Overcome, Unashamed, Focused, Zao, Training for Utopia, Bloodshed, Embodyment, Extol, Focal Point, Strongarm, Warlord, Selfmindead. Solid State was Christian heavy music.

Takehold was an extremely promising label with great bands. Takehold was the label that signed Underoath. They had Narcissus, Few Left Standing, Chalice. They released Hopesfall's classic No Wings to Speak. Tooth and Nail bought out Takehold and with that some great music was lost.

I don't know what's wrong and maybe something isn't wrong. But it seems that the scene has invaded the music and trends and fashion dominate what's out there right now. I hope for good things to come in Christian metal but at the moment... I'm just not sure.

No comments: