Monday, March 1, 2010

Fair - Disappearing World


It's been a while since I've done one of these. Let's see how this goes.

I had never heard Fair's debut record, The Best Worst Case Scenario, so I was unfamiliar with them as a band, but I'm no stranger to Aaron Sprinkle's work. Poor Old Lu are alternative rock pioneers, Rose Blossom Punch was a great band and I own all of Sprinkle's solo records. So I had a rough idea of what to expect.

Disappearing World might be the most pop sensible thing Aaron Sprinkle has ever done, which is saying something. In a world where indie pop and indie bands are thrown around by Pitchfork and Jimmy Fallon as the hottest and greatest thing in music, Fair has produced a pop rock record that would rival any on the market to date.

Disappearing World is a pop record that will go largely unnoticed and unappreciated by the average music fan. The record is a driving affair that doesn't slow down for the first four songs. Taking Some Risks sounds like a song that you might've heard on one of Sprinkle's solo disks but the rhodes piano keeps it from sounding like something he's done before.

Hearing Disappearing World, I picked up The Best Worse Case Scenario and I can say that in my opinion Disappearing World is a huge step in a better direction. This is some of Aaron Sprinkle's best song writing to date. An upbeat pop record a good songs. Who can argue with that?

No comments: