Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kye Kye - Young Love

Kye Kye's Young Love has sat on my computer untouched for a couple months. While Relevant Magazine and other media sources talked about how great the record was, I ignored it. Until the other night when I finally popped the record on in iTunes and gave it a spin.

It took all of about 30 seconds for me to realize that I have been missing out on one of the best records of 2011. I can't believe this came out in January and I missed out on it all year.

Young Love is a beautiful pop record, with lovely melodies and catchy hooks. From low key simple refrains like the album's opener Reach and Peace Song, to more (slightly) upbeat tracks like Broke and Introduce Myself. Rooftops might be the best example of Young Love as an album. Super simple and catchy hook over an acoustic guitar with some electronic elements and strings swirling in and out as the track progresses.

Kye Kye have created what is instantly one of my favorite records of the year and I'm mad at myself for having missed out on it for so long. Great pop songs that don't get old.

No comments: