Monday, December 14, 2009

Top 10 Solid State Records

With my recent open letter about classic Solid State night @ Cornerstone and my recent rant on how terrible Christian hardcore/metal currently is I thought I'd give a list of (my) Top 10 Solid State* Records releases.

*Patton's note: I understand that some of these albums were released under the Tooth and Nail name but because they fall in the hardcore/metal genre they are on this list.

10. Focused – Bow

This is the 2nd album ever released on T&N( although wikipedia isn't as clear on that as I'd like). Nothing will ever beat the early hardcore days in Christian music. Nothing. The passion coming out of the scene and the bands were great. 94-97 were great years for Christian hardcore. Focused debut is solid. Straight forward old school hardcore. It's the sound that defined the spirit filled hxc scene. Bow is heavy and aggressive and a classic record.

9. Training for Utopia – Throwing a Wrench in the American Music Machine

In their swan song album Training for Utopia went industrial... kind of. Not so much in the vain of Klank or Circle of Dust, probably closer in sound to Pretty Hate Machine but I don't think of Throwing a Wrench... as an industrial record. It was too heavy, had far too many grooves to be industrial. It's a weird album and I understand why people didn't get it but I love it. Even , Everything Including the Stars in Falling Baby, an acoustic track that seems to be completely out of place. If for no other reason this album deserves a place on the list because New York City Is Overrated is far too good a song to be ignored.

8. Focal Point – Suffering of the Masses

Can a band make an impact with one album? Yes. And Focal Point did so. I have this album on red vinyl and it looks and sounds amazing. It's possibly the best artwork for any album Solid State has ever released. Ryan Clark would take what was started with Focal Point and continue with TFU but I don't think anything TFU ever did had the same passionate furry as Suffering the Masses.

7. Extol – Undeceived

Great record. Great F-ing record! I've never been a big death/black/norwegian metal fan. It just doesn't really appeal to my sensibilities. But Undeceived did when it came out and it does now. Probably nothing special in the genre but as far as christian music that was coming out, Undeceived was an instant classic in the scene. Heavy, melodic, technical. Just a great album.

6. Unashamed – Reflection

Unashamed second's album, it was so good that when they finished it they knew they couldn't release a better album and quit. That's how amazing this album is. Unashamed is worship music at it's heart. Hardcore in style, worship in context. The album ends with a great cover a the Rich Mullens classic, Awesome God. I would give anything to have seen Unashamed play the song live (as they will not be on their reunion).

5. Blindside – A Thought Crushed My Mind

Blindside had a solid debut that brought Swedish hardcore to the christian scene in america. A Thought Crushed My Mind blew their debut out of the water. A Thought Crushed My Mind was every bit as raw as their self-titled debut but it was more chaotic, heavier, had more melody, just more. It wasn't the polished post-hardcore Blindside has been out out since, this was raw rock at it's purest. They really don't make records like this anymore.

4. Strongarm – The Advent of a Miracle

Advent of a Miracle... I don't have words for how much I love this record. Strongarm and Shai Hulud were Florida hardcore in the mid-90's and you can hear the similarities shared between the two band. Strongarm had great melody that weaved in and out of their songs that really separated them from their peers. Advent of a Miracle is every bit as good today as it was in 97.

3. Zao – Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest

Zao is a huge influence on me. Dan Weyandt is one of my favorite lyricist of all time and he's without a doubt my favorite hardcore vocalist ever. Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest is monumental on hardcore, Christian and non, and a huge influence in my life. This album really cemented a love for hardcore in me. I don't know if any one band has had such an influence as Zao and Where Blood and Fire is where it all began.

2. Norma Jean – The Anti-Mother

Ok this is a newer record and I know there will be people who instantly cry wolf. Yes, I know there's a large majority of Norma Jean fans who believe their best work is Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child. But it's not (at least not on my list). I will even concede that Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste is the best Norma Jean song. But this albums. First off, The last 2 Chariot, The Fiancee and Wars and Wars of War, are both better records then Bless the Martyr (so Josh's best work isn't even with Norma Jean). In an age where drums are over produced and and production seems to key to the genre, The Anti-Mother is a rough look at what quality song writing and melody can do for a band. The Anti-Mother is 10 songs long and 10 songs strong. Nothing to skip. Plus the album features Chino Moreno and Paige Hamilton. Norma Jean have been getting better. When I thought there was no way they'd ever top Redeemer, they released The Anti-Mother, which nearly 2 years later I still have a probably taking it out of my cd player.

1. Living Sacrifice – The Hammering Process

I wasn't a big fan of Reborn and even though that record has grown on me, The Hammering Process is my favorite record Living Sacrifice has released and Solid State has released. Where Reborn brought a new era, The Hammering Process firmly nailed LS as one of the great metal bands in christian music. Lance's drumming is top notch, the addition of Matt Putman on percussion added a new level to the music. Rocky Gray delivered great solos on this. I remember playing Hand of the Dead on a missions trip in high school and freaking everybody in the van out. It was accused of being devil music. The Hammering Process is a classic. Seriously.

No comments: