Tuesday, August 3, 2010

House of Heroes - Suburba


House of Heroes hasn't always been a band on my radar. I've listening to their previous two records but haven't paid much attention to either of them. So I didn't know what to expect when I hit play on Suburba.

Suburba is a pretty kick ass rock record. Relentless is full of gusto and almost has an arena rock feel to it. A great opener for the album. Elevator and Love is For the Middle Class are just terrific, catchy songs. House of Heroes have mastered the art of writing catchy songs and great hooks that are easy to sing along to. SOngs like Independence Day For a Petty Thief, She Mighty Mighty, and Burn It Down are awesome rock songs, while So Far Away, Salt in the Sea, and Constant are slower songs. The record has a nice ebb and flow. Somebody Knows has a great gospel feel to it.

But the song that takes Suburba over the top is God Save the Foolish Kings. If the record wasn't any good, this song would still have the album make my best of 2010 list. It's a killer song, with a catchy hook and a great gospel choir backing up the second half of the song. God Save Us the Foolish Kings is an amazing song on a great record. It is the best song I've heard this year.

Suburba is the best straight forward rock record I've heard in years. There's no gimmicks, just good solid song writing. A top 5 record for sure.

No comments: