Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Facedown Records Releases

I'm feeling pretty uncreative today so I'm rocking my Top 10 favorite album from Facedown Records.

10. Anchor – Ship Wrecked Life

Anchor is classic Youth Crew hardcore similar to bands like Bane and Gorilla Biscuits. Just good old fashioned punk hardcore. Ship Wrecked Life is a hardcore record that’s probably the most underrated album on Facedown Records.

9. For Today – Breaker

Even though Break is only a handful of months old, it still manages to make this list. The album came out of nowhere to made me a For Today fan. A heavy record with super catchy songs.



8. Overcome – Immortal Until Their Work is Done

Overcome’s first post Solid State album showed the band even heavier then their earlier work. Immortal Until Their Work is Done has a lot of death metal influence.

7. Dodgin’ Bullets – Soundtrack to the End of the World

Another fun hardcore record, although Dodgin’ Bullets pulls more from the Eerie Hardcore scene where they came from.

6. xDisciplex AD – Doxology

Even though Doxology is more of a retrospective of xDisciplex’s career, it was the only real album the band put out on Facedown. Eerie, PA hardcore at it’s finest.

5. Symphony in Peril – The Whore’s Trophy

A band featuring Shawn Jonas, former Zao frontman, was enough for me to instantly like Symphony in Peril, their debut really disappointed me when it first came out. But the Whore’s Trophy was a different record. While continuing in the same metalcore vain, The Whore’s Trophy was more technical and had a real focused heaviness about it that Lost Memoirs and Faded Pictures was lacking.



4. No Innocent Victim – To Burn Again

The return of N.I.V. was a good thing and To Burn Again was a nice mix of new tracks and some rerecorded favorites. To Burn Again features my favorite N.I.V. song of all time, Stand.



3. Falling Cycle – The Conflict

When you listen to Conflict you notice how raw and dirty the album is. It’s aggressive like all that old school metalcore was. A lot of Zao influence on this record.



2. Sleeping Giant – The Dread Champions of the Last Days

Sleeping Giant was the band that really got me back into Facedown and the hardcore scene. The Dread Champions is such an honest and aggressive record but it doesn’t feel like the same hardcore band I’ve heard a million times before. A fresh sound in a scene full of cookie cutouts.



1. Point of Recognition – Day of Defeat

As I stated in my Top 10 hardcore records post, Day of Defeat is probably the angriest sounding of all the Christian tough guy hardcore records. Heavy, brutal, awesome!

2 comments:

Todd said...

Nice list, I agree with most of them. "Behold the Pale Horse" by Sleeping Giant may be my all time favorite hardcore song.
Hey what did you think of Wrench in the Works "Decrease/Increase"? Its definitely up there in my top facedown releases. I think I'd put War of Ages and Nodes of Ranvier in mine somewhere as well.

Patton said...

Decrease/Increase has really grown on me. I didn't like it as much as Lost Art of Heaping Coal at first but over time I've really come to love that album.