Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Post Rock Records

A busy schedule has delayed today top 10. I’m going with my favorite post rock/instrumental albums. You can argue that some of these records don’t belong as “post rock” albums and it’s probably fair and to be honest I could probably done a top 20 albums just off the top of my head. Post rock is probably my favorite genre of music (although hardcore is right there). Enjoy.

10. Rachel’s – Systems/Layers

While I know the general public opinion is that Selenography is Rachel’s best album, but it was never as pleasing a listen to me as Systems/Layers was. Systems/Layers is such a pretty record and an easy listen. Water from the Same Source, Last Things Last, and NY Snow Globe are all highlights.



9. The Album Leaf – One Day I’ll Be on Time

The Album Leaf’s second full-length was really a shadow of the potential Jimmy LaValle would later show. And while the fuller sound and live instrumentation of their later albums are nice, the songs on One Day I’ll Be on Time are really the strength that makes this a better record. Great Rhodes piano sound on this album, as is the staple of the Jimmy LaValle.



8. Mogwai – Young Team

I’m a huge Mogwai fan and Mogwai is better then your band. So putting them at number 8 seems wrong. But this is a strong list. Young Team was the band’s debut and I think it still ranks as their best work. Beautiful, but I can’t help but feel there’s some underlying evil in this record. Killer stuff.



7. Caspian – You Are the Conductor

It’s always good when you can listen to a record the flows like one song and leaves you both satisfied and wanting more all at the same time. Caspian’s debut ep does just that. The whole fits together so nicely and moves from section to section so seamlessly.



6. Saxon Shore – Be a Bright Blue

While I honestly think Saxon Shore has put out better music and even better albums since their debut ep, Be a Bright Blue is still a favorite of mine. It was probably the first instrumental album I got and really opened me up to a new genre. Replacement Driver is a song that can’t be beat.



5. Sigur Ros – ( )

Sigur Ros’ untitled album remains as one of the most beautiful and spiritual albums of all time. 8 songs, 70 minutes of greatness.



4. Explosions in the Sky – All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

I know people always complain about bands newer work being inferior to much lauded over “classics” but All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone was the album that really turned me on to Explosions in the Sky. I liked the band before this album but I really fell in love with Explosions when All of a Sudden came out. Maybe because it’s a little more standard and “boring” post rock. I do love this album though.



3. Hammock – Kenotic

Hammock’s debut changed the way I think about music. I’m being serious. Sitting in my car, stuck in the snow listening to Winter Lights on repeat, it brought a calm to my soul. Kenotic is a little disjointed at points and some songs seem like incomplete ideas, but what is finished is beautiful. Kenotic was just the beginning of Hammock and still holds as a great piece of music.



2. Mono – Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined

You can’t go wrong with any Mono album. They are all beautifully epic. Their last album, Hymns to the Immortal Wind was fantastic. But Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky destroys. Halcyon (Beautiful Days) is a song that will melt your heart and make you cry.



1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Lift Your Skinny Fist to Heaven like Antenna

2 discs of over 80 minutes of music that moves between beauty and chaos, some GY!BE did well their entire career, Lift Your Skinny First to Heaven like Antenna is the ultimate post rock album.

3 comments:

Todd said...

You ever listen to Pelican? Definitely one of my favorite post-rock/metal bands. "Forecast For Today" is one of the coolest instrumental songs I've ever heard.

Patton said...

I like Pelican. I think they're a much better live band though. I could've put Russian Circles on this list too.

Unknown said...

Hammock is pretty cool thanks for the recommendation. Anything new from 2011 come out yet you can recommend?