Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Fray - Scars & Stories

The worst thing for a band is for people to be indifferent to you. Most people will talk about what they like and what they hate but if they're indifferent and just don't care about your band, there is no conversation happening.

I have been pretty indifferent towards The Fray. Not because I've thought they were a bad band. Mostly out of ignorance and not caring. Cable Car and How To Save a Life were nice songs but didn't stick with me enough to check out their album. I didn't even realize the band had released a self-titled album in 2009. I wasn't even going to give Scars & Stories a spin at first.

Perhaps like the band itself, Scars & Stories is a record that grows on you. My first time through I thought that this wasn't a record that would find it's place in my collection. The songs were fine but nothing very attention grabbing. But a second, third, fourth spin in I started hearing more. The music draws you in. But it's the lyrics that really grab your attention (which I think is the point of the Fray's music).

Heartbeat kicks the record off on the right foot and even my first listen through I liked the song. The Fighter is another upbeat rock song that starts Scars & Stories off nicely. Songs like Run For Your Life, The Wind, I Can Barley Say are heartfelt, "softer" songs that help bring balance to the record. Not to say every song isn't heartfelt as Scars & Stories is full of great songs with strong meaningful lyrics. It's not a top heavy record, as 48 To Go, Rainy Zurich, and Be Still help bring the record to a strong close. 48 To Go is probably my favorite track on the record.

The Fray isn't a band one should be indifferent towards and Scars & Stories has me interested in hitting up their back catalog. The songs are strong and the lyrics mean something, which isn't always the case in mainstream music. Scars & Stories is a record to pick up and let grow on you.

No comments: