Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rosie Thomas - With Love

Rosie Thomas is an artist I absolutely love but don't really like many of her songs. I know, it's backwards. Her Christmas album is one of my favorites and songs like Wedding Day and Farewell would rank as some of my favorite songs period. But as a whole, her discography is a little underwhelming in my book. I will go see Rosie Thomas live any time she's in town but her records just don't click with me.

With Love is her fifth full-length and her first since These Friends of Mine (which came out in 06). It's her best record since her debut (When We Were Small) and is my favorite record to date. The songs are stronger. That draw that's always made Thomas such a great live performance seems to finally come through on a record (that's not her Christmas album, which is full of charm).

With Love is just good pop music. Which is probably what separates this album from the rest of Thomas' discography. While the singer/songwriter folk element is still in tact, there's a distinct change in sound on With Love. Over the Moon is the perfect example of the change in direction for Thomas. A sugary sweet love song that's catchy, memorable, and extremely enjoyable. On the flip, In Time is a song that feels very familiar to what Thomas has produced before. And that balance is what helps move Rosie Thomas forward into new territory without abandoning what fans have come to love and enjoy.

With Love is the album where Rosie Thomas clicked for me. Just enough a departure in sound for me to get it but not enough where long time fans of hers will freak out. Great pop songs about love. Who can hate that?

No comments: