Monday, July 30, 2012

Flatfoot 56 - Toil

The idea of celtic punk is always better than celtic punk actually is. In theory, I really like celtic punk bands... Until I listen to celtic punk bands. The music is always fun and really enjoyable. But usually after two songs I'm over it and bored.

Toil is different from previous Flat 56 efforts. Toil is a punk record with celtic influence. And that works for me.

Brother Brother starts with the bagpipes but quickly kicks in with an intensity that was missing from the band's last record, Black Thorn. It's an attitude that Flatfoot 56 hasn't had in their career to this point. The Rich, The Strong, The Poor and Take Hold Again are solid, hook driven punk songs. Toil is a nice acoustic track but it has that punk energy that Brother Brother had.

Toil is the band's best work to date. But it's still nothing amazing in my opinion. While I'm not bored with it at any point it's just missing that thing that makes it stand out and makes me say wow. An all around good album... Just not album of the year material.

No comments: