Friday, August 10, 2012

Andy Hunter - Glow

I have a love/hate relationship with Andy Hunter. I love his music. I hate his albums.

Wait, What?

It's true. I think Andy Hunter makes great music. But I'm never impressed with the albums. I think I've stated before that I would like Andy Hunter more if there weren't vocals on his albums. I just want dance music. I was a fan of Hunter's last ep, Collide. So I had hope giving Glow a spin.

Glow is a bit all over the place. Some of it's great and some is pretty weak.

Rise Up kicks the ep off on a sort of dubstep vibe. Like if the Venetian Snares did a dubstep track. It's actually not terrible... Just interesting. Both the tracks with vocals, Glow and Spiral, are actually my favorite on the record. Both have more of a mainstream pop dance sound then Hunter's normal stylings. Spiral is the better of those two tracks in my opinion. Great hook and melody. It would be a huge hit on pop radio. One Motion is a drum loop I've heard often. The itself is alright but the drum loop catches me a little off guard on every spin. Hold On is a solid, classic Hunter dance track.

Glow is a solid ep start to finish and it's without a doubt Hunter's best work to date.




No comments: