Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Classic Crime - Phoenix

I'll just be honest, I don't get the appeal of The Classic Crime. People love the band. I don't have an issue with the guys in the Crime. It's decent rock. But it doesn't do anything for me.  There, I've said it. Take note as this review moves forward.

Phoenix is the first I've really given The Crime a shot. I've listened to the band's records but never more than once. I've just never been impressed enough to keep listening.

The "intro" on Phoenix, One Man Army (which is really just an oepning song and not an into at all) is actually quite excellent. A strong building track that has a great crescendo. It's a great attention grabber and it got my hopes high for Phoenix.

And Phoenix isn't a bad record. Songs like Young Again, Glass Houses, Heaven and Hell, and The Precipice are amazing songs. The band's melodies are strong and Matt MacDonald's vocals are solid. There's nothing wrong with Phoenix.

But The Classic Crime doesn't strike a chord with me. The band is just missing something, or I'm not getting it.

Fans of the band should love Phoenix.

No comments: