Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Disciple - O God Save Us All

I remembering hearing My Daddy Can Whip Your Daddy by Disciple for the first time and loving it. It was a solid hard rock ep that had elements of Rage Against the Machine in it's sound. This Might Sting A Little and By God were good  and found places in my rotation but as heavier music overtook my tastes, Disciple got left behind. I've heard singles from the band and have been unimpressed. I even picked up 2010's Horseshoes & Handgrenades  but was less then stoked about it. So O God Save Us All wasn't really a record I expected much from.

O God Save Us All isn't anything special stylistically. It's a hard rock album. But as far as Disciple records go, it's my favorite record they've done since By God. Outlaws is a solid opening track, with it's fun, upbeat, anthemic chorus that sets a nice tone for the record. The title track is a hard hitting song that reminds me of old school Disciple. It's nice to hear that Kevin Young can still scream! RIP is another solid, hard hitting rock song before the ballads kick in. Once and For All doesn't do a whole lot for me. Someday has a nice build and the hook is great. Draw The Line is a little more expected but I like it. The ballads are nice but I was ready for Kings when it kicked things back up to 11. Unstoppable is a killer song and my favorite on the album. The drums and guitar riff smack you in the face with some sweet, old school Disciple!

O God Save Us All is a surprisingly enjoyable hard rock record the flashes at some old school stylings, while keeping the recent feel that fans both old and new will enjoy.

No comments: