Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The OC Supertones - For The Glory

Hype is the enemy. And boy does For The Glory have some hype. The OC Supertones return is a big deal for ska fans and just older Christian music fans like myself. The Supertones were on of my first real band obsessions and having them back is awesome! But I also have to remember that outside of the band's first two albums I've never loved an album start to finish from the Supertones. So in my own head I'm battling. Should I be super stoked and amped about For the Glory and jump right in or do I hold to my reservations and be skeptical going in.

Naturally my excitement took over when I downloaded the record and gave it a spin.

All The Way Alive is a solid opening track that hits you with the horns and upbeats right away. But it's the title track that will make you get up and dance. For the Glory is an awesome, anthemic song with a strong hook that has radio hit written all over it. It's probably the best Supertones song since Resolution.  There are 3 great tracks near the end of the record. On The Down Beat, Fight On, and Pretty Little Lie are strong skacore tracks. It's the Supertones at their best.

With the good comes the less than impressive. There are a bunch of low key acoustic and rock steady tracks, which aren't bad songs. It's more a preference of what I want to hear more of. I love the anthemic, up-beat, full on skanking ska tracks. And For The Glory is missing more of those.

It's great to have new music from The Supertones and For The Glory is full of some great, fun, and extremely memorable songs. But like previous efforts from the band, there are just some moments that keep me from being completely in love with it.

No comments: