Friday, March 15, 2013

Audio Adrenaline - Kings & Queens

Audio Adrenaline was the first band I ever really attached myself to. Bloom was a great alternative rock record that captured my attention. The bass line in Never Gonna Be As Big As Jesus is still one of my favorites. Don't Censor Me, Bloom, and Some Kind Of Zombie were all great records! Even the band's later records all have fantastic moments. Audio Adrenaline were pretty consistent over their long musical career. While they had some more CCM moments, songs Like I'm Alive and Summertime (Lift), Clap Your Hands and Until My Heart Caves In (Until My Heart Caves In), and Church Punks (Worldwide), the band has always made great alternative rock records.

But what does a re-tooled, new look line-up, without Mark Stuart, look like?

Hearing the rumor, and then news, about Audio A reuniting with Kevin Max as their lead vocalist felt like a cheap industry move. Was this another christian band trying to make a buck by using the last member of DC Talk to "revive" their career and make money on a nostalgic generation?

Hearing the title track, Kings & Queens, I was intrigued. The song is great. It's not what I think of when I hear the name Audio Adrenaline, but it was very good.

Seeing the mini documentary about reunion, I was sold on giving Kings & Queens a fair listen.

Hitting play, you hear Audio Adrenaline. He Moves, You Move feels like an Audio Adrenaline song, which is a great accomplishment. Yes, Kevin Max and Mark Stuart have iconically different voices but musically, it's all Audio Adrenaline. Upbeat, fun rock and roll. Kings & Queens, like I said, is a great song. A great anthemic call to take care of the poor and orphans. Similar to songs like Hands & Feet, it's Audio A's call to arms. Believer is a great ballad about living a life of risk in God.

King Of The Comebacks features Mark Stuart on the bridge. And even though it's just a barely whispered vocal coming through the stereo, it's great to hear his voice.

Fire Never Sleeps is a cover of the Martin Smith (formerly of Delirious) song released last year. The arrangement is very similar, although Audio A's version might have more of a britpop vibe. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album. I Climb The Mountain is an amazing area rock anthem that's part DC Talk (Supernatural vibe) and part Audio A. It's a beautiful combo and while you hear both of those elements the song has something fresh and new. It's the song where you can really hear a rebirth of Audio A.

The Answer ends the record on an extremely strong note. Straight forward, dark rock. Similar to I Climb The Mountain, it's the rebirth of one of christian rock's great bands.

Kings & Queens is a new chapter or Audio Adrenaline. And it's a good new chapter. It's different enough to sound like a new beginning but there are elements that will keep old fans, like myself, happy. Kings & Queens will make older christian rock fans happy. Kevin Max adds a great new element to Audio A.

No comments: