Thursday, March 21, 2013

Schematic - Color (n.) Inside The Lines

A friend of mine posted about Schematic, the new solo project from Dave Elkins, formerly of Mae, a couple months back on Facebook. I didn't really think much of it. I like Mae just fine but I've never been over the moon about them and I wasn't sure I'd really give Elkins' solo project much thought.

What I found on Color Inside The Lines was a frailty that Mae never had. The hints at great indie rock from the late 90's and early 2000's rings beautifully in my ears. The dynamics  and density on the album are far greater than anything I was suspecting.

The riff on Outside that opens up the album reminds me of songs from Mae's first two records. And honestly, there are moments on Color where Elkins previous work shines through. But I would never put Outside in the same realm as Mae. While the guitar riff and hook have a familiar vibe, which Mae fans will love, Outside has a beautiful instrumental bridge section that takes it out of the rock and roll/emo arena and moves it into the indie rock vibe. The song as a whole as a more chill vibe than anything Mae ever released.

On the flip side, Senseless Charade's guitar movement reminds me Radiohead (The National Anthem). The song is kind of sludgey and dirty sounding before hitting this circus keyboard riff on the bridge. It's an odd combination to write about but it creates two contrasting, yet beautiful layers in the song.

There's an interlude on Where's The Soul, where the kets hit and the song goes into a half time groove that reminds me Ester Drang, which I love.

Color Inside the Lines is a beautiful diverse, layered indie record. A half dozen listens in and I'm still hearing and discovering new things in each song. Fans of Mae won't be turned off by Elkins new project, but it's also such a departure that people who may have never enjoyed Mae could find something they love on Schematic's debut record.

No comments: