Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Project 86 - Picket Fence Cartel

So why not review a record that came out today? Project 86 released their 7th full-length album today. I've had about 3 listens fully through the album and I dig it. If you're looking for a marker for what the sound is, if you combine Songs to Burn Your Bridges By and Rival Fractions you get Picket Fence Cartel.

Project 86 is a band that fell off the earth for me when Truthless Heroes came out. It had some good songs but the record just fell flat after Drawing Black Lines. I skipped Songs to Burn (what a mistake) and ended up getting a copy of ...And the Rest Will Follow when it was released. An ok record with some catchy songs but still didn't grab my attention. Heard the three songs posted on myspace before Rival Fractions was released and ended up buying the album. Liked the record and it has done nothing but grow on me and get better with every listen. But my love for Project 86 came back when I picked up Songs To Burn Your Bridges By. What a great album. Post Hardcore/Melodic Hardcore goodness.

Picket Fence Cartel strikes me in a very similar way. A little bit darker, maybe slightly heavier (but not much). The opening song "Destroyer" is very much like "Spill Me" from their self-titled debut. A dark, mid-tempo song that sets the tone for what's to come. Not a high energy kick you in the face opener like all previous P86 albums. Not to say that this album is lacking kick or energy. Songs like The Butcher, Dark Angel Dragnet, A John Hancock with the Safety Off, The Black Brigade all carry the feel and energy that Rival Fractions had. The rest of the album feels a lot like songs that could've just as easily been on Songs to urn Your Bridges By, which is a good thing.

The album closes with To Sand We Return, which although not as good a closing track as Normandy (which is just freaking sweet), it is a very fitting end to what is from start to finish a good album. Not since their first two albums have I thought Project 86 has put out back to back quality records but this records changes that. I hope there is more music from Project 86 in the future and I hop they continue to make good music.

No comments: