Sunday, July 19, 2009

Steph Modder - Hope's Got Me

Leigh Nash from Sixpence None the Richer is my favorite female vocalist. I love her. On my first listen of Hope's Got Me, Steph Modder entered my top 5. Produced by Michael Pritzl of the Violet Burning, Hope's Got Me is a journey through love and pain and into hope.

The record moves from high to low (mostly low) as Steph sings about finding her way out of pain and into something better. The production on Pritzl's part is done marvelously, with instrumentation being just enough to compliment Steph's vocal and guitar work. The only track on the album that bugs me is "The One Thing" featuring Pritzl on vocals. It stands out as the "rock" track on the album and in terms of flow doesn't seem to fit where it's placed on the album (second track between the beautifully understated "Come Away" and a heart wrenching "This All Leads to You"). Maybe different placement would've helped this song. (It is my girlfriends favorite song on the album so maybe I'm wrong)

The record has a handful of great songs (This All Leads to You, Not Ready, Stay Oh Stay, Hopes Got Me) and only one (in my opinion) skip.

Hope's Got Me, the albums closer is the light at the end of the tunnel. The album as a whole is moving towards something more, towards a finish. Hope's Got Me is the turning the corner song. That this isn't the end but a brand new beginning. Where David Bazan would've ended with a track about death and destruction, Steph Modder ends with Hope, with something new on the horizon. Life has turned around.

This album is a journey a book, about love, pain, redemption, and hope. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy. I look forward to better and bigger things from Steph Modder.

Hope's Got Me from Joe Portnoy on Vimeo.

No comments: