Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Christian Hardcore/Metalcore albums

If you read this blog you know I love hardcore. When I discovered hardcore in the 8th grade, it changed my life. I love hardcore so much that this top ten list will actually be two list; my favorite christian hardcore albums and then next week will be my favorite non christian hardcore albums. I'm also going with hardcore/metalcore because some albums (especially next week) don't fall under the "hardcore" banner. Enjoy.


10. Underoath – Define the Great Line

Define The Great Line isn’t really a return to greatness for Underoath, but a realization of potential. The death metal band had transformed itself into emo Warp Tour darlings. Define the Great Line reestablished the band firmly a top the modern metalcore ranks. Underoath reemerged as a heavy band. Gone was the pop sensibilities that had been on They”re Only Chasing Safety. Define the Great Line has pound for pound, some of the catchiest hooks and melodies in metalcore while still remaining a heavy album. The bands best album.



9. Few Left Standing – Regeneration of Self

Takehold Records didn’t release a ton of albums, but the ones they did were all quality. Few Left Standing’s debut is about as classic a spirit filled hardcore record as one can hope for. Regeneration of Self really falls somewhere between Zao’s classic lineup (Splinter Shards era) and Unashamed. It’s just great old school hardcore.



8. Focal Point – Suffering the Masses

Focal Point is early metalcore. Suffering the Masses hit my stereo before Zao ever did and while it wasn’t influential in me listening to heavy music, it was an introduction into more extreme genres. The first time I heard Neglected on the Songs From the Penalty Box comp, the first one, I was hooked. That riff at the beginning of the song was so nasty and dirty and I loved it. Suffering the Masses was purchased. A sick album with some of the sickest album artwork in Christian hardcore to this day.



7. Point of Recognition – Day of Defeat

Point of Recognition’s final full-length is the closest thing to real tough guy hardcore in Christian music. While I love the bands first two albums, Day of Defeat is brutal. Not has angry as Hatebreed, but every bit as tough.



6. Stretch Arm Strong – A Revolution Transmission

Stretch Arm Strong’s second Solid State release really clicked with me where their debut had fallen short. Stretch Arm Strong is a fun hardcore band. It’s Youth Crew HC. A Revolution Transmission is both catchy and striking, melodic and brutal. Revolution has all the fun and enjoyment of a punk record, but all the fury of hardcore. While the music will get your blood pumping and the circle pits moving, lyrically the album is really poignant and deep.



5. Unashamed – Reflection

Reflection was an album so good that the band knew they couldn’t do better and disbanded. Among the early Tooth and Nail/Solid State hardcore bands, Unashamed had a fury and anger in their sound that the other bands just didn’t have. To this day I still have heard a record with the same intensity and worshipful nature as Reflection. Plus it has the amazing cover of Awesome God. It’s a Christian hardcore classic and should be in all hardcore fans collection.



4. No Innocent Victim – Flesh and Blood

N.I.V. is Christian hardcore and Flesh and Blood is there best album. Hands down. N.I.V.’s My Beliefs t-shirt is probably the most worn shirt and hoodie in all of Christian hardcore. Flesh and Blood is a fun album. If it’s not the most iconic Christian hardcore album, I’d like to know what is. Just like A Revolution Transmission, this album will get you moving and dancing.



3. Strongarm – The Advent of a Miracle

I always view Advent Of a Miracle as the sister record to Shai Hulud’s Heart’s One Nurished, which is a great thing. Florida hardcore in 97 at it’s freaking best. Advent of a Miracle has a certain melodic quality that transferred over into Further Seems Forever after Strongarm broke up. Steve Kleisath’s drumming is some of the best in hardcore (he played on Shai Hulud’s debut as well). Advent of a Miracle was leaps and bounds better then Atonement and it’s Florida hardcore.



2. Hopesfall – No Wings to Speak Of

Is it wrong to put an ep at number 2? I don’t think so. Hopesfall’s No Wings To Speak Of is brilliant. It’s one of the most intense and emotive records I’ve ever heard. While the “emo” breakdowns might upset some people and not everyone will enjoy the interplay between hardcore and the melodic instrumental parts, I loved the record when I heard it and I love it now. 4 solid melodic hardcore songs.



1. Zao – Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest and Peace

Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest by Zao is one of the most influential records on the modern Christian metalcore landscape. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean, and countless others sight Zao as a huge influence on their band and sound. Where Blood and Fire took Zao to another level. An incredible record by one of my favorite bands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. Listening to some of those bands now. Didn't see Embodyment on the list. Often see Embrace the Eternal getting lots of love. I'm more old school and familiar with The Crucified, Vengeance Rising, The Lead, Sacrament, Deliverance, Believer, early Tourniquet and the likes. The "recent" stuff I like includes The Chariot, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Prada and Comeback Kid. Underoath is OK, Strongarm is amazing, and recently discovered Jesus Wept. Awesome straight edge punk. Peace.