Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Fall/Winter Albums

As the seasons change and the weather cools, so do my music choices. With Fall and Winter I look for a warmer, lush soundtrack for the cool evening car rides and just chilling at the house by the fire. Here are my favorite go to Fall/Winter albums.

10. Ester Drang – Infinite Keys

Infinite Keys is a terribly underrated album. When it came out it was beloved but I feel like over time, it’s been a little forgotten. The sweeping strings, simple drums, beautifully laid Rhodes piano, Ester Drang really put together a masterpiece. The album’s closing track, I Don’t Want to Live (In A World of Infinite Keys) is just breathtaking.



9. Denison Witmer – Philadelphia Songs

Philadelphia Songs is Denison Witmer’s best. I have this record on white vinyl and it sounds amazing. Just great, sad songs. Put the record on with a cup of tea or a glass of wine and you have a nice evening.



8. Unwed Sailor – The Faithful Anchor

The Faithful Anchor was the first instrumental/post-rock album I ever picked up. Not the most calming and beautiful post rock record and not the most technical and mathy but there’s something very calming about the album. Johnathon Ford’s bass playing is incredible on this album. Maybe because both band name and album title involve the idea of ships and sailing that I like this record so much.



7. Saxon Shore – The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore

Saxon Shore knows how to create incredible records. After 2 stellar eps the bands first full-length, The Exquisite Death, really knocked it out of the park. While this record isn’t completely laid back, the moments where the band builds to a crescendo are absolutely amazing. How We Conquered The Western World on Horseback is a song that always makes me think of being out in the cool autumn air, with leaves on the ground.



6. LN – Novel

Novel is Beautiful. Cars Must Burn to this day remains a song that I could listen to for hours on end. Dream pop at it’s finest.

5. Sigur Ros – ( )

Sigur Ros’ untitled album is an absolute thing of beauty. While Takk was an equally amazing follow up record, ( ) holds a special place in my heart. Just a beautiful and spiritual record.



4. Over the Rhine – Ohio

Ohio is two discs full of amazing songs. Ohio was also my introduction to Over the Rhine. The songs remind me of late at night in a smoke filled bar (which doesn’t exist in America anymore). There’s something beautiful about the torment in these songs. There’s a lot of pain and honesty that is translated so beautifully on this album.



3. Hammock – Kenotic

My intro to Hammock was on a Christmas theme compilation. I was sitting in my car, stuck in the snow, waiting to be pushed out. Winter Lights came on. I spent the next 15-30 minutes with the heat blasting, listening to Winter Lights on repeat. When I got home I instantly got online and bought Kenotic. Such an amazing and beautiful record.



2. The Appleseed Cast – Low Level Owl

The Appleseed Cast broke emo stereotypes with both Low Level Owl records and forged into ambient indie rock glory. Both records are phenomenal. One of those life defining bands and albums for me.



1. Slowdive – Souvlaki

A shoegazing classic. When Alison starts, I was hooked within minutes. The swirling guitars, the lush vocals, all combine to create a beautiful landscape.

No comments: