Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

I’ve been trying to put words to how I feel about Mogwai’s Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. And I’m having a hard time. The record is awesome and at the same time not as awesome as I was hoping. The Hawk is Howling was a great record and I was hoping Mogwai would continue in that vain. And while Hard Will Never Die has some of the elements that were great on The Hawk is Howling, it’s a step in a different direction.

Hardcore Will Never Die is the simplest Mogwai album to do. The songs are overly complex; instead most keep to a simple melody line. The songs are some of the most beautiful songs the band has written ever. Mexican Grad Prix is a fun track, with a catchy synth line, and a vocal line that reminds me of Air. Rano Pano, San Pedro, and George Square Thatcher Death Party are all kill post rock tracks; the best songs on the album.

My issue with the record is because all the songs repeat patterns and riffs, you tend to feel like you’ve been listening to the same song forever. The songs don’t sound the same, but if you’re not paying attention, you’ll check and make sure your music player isn’t on repeat.

Over all Mogwai have produced another outstanding record. A great post rock album that should be enjoyed.

1 comment:

Leah K said...

I love this band, been listening to it for years!