Monday, March 14, 2011

Ringo Deathstarr - Colour Trip

This might be the only time I ever say this, so enjoy. Being original is overrated.

Upon seeing Ringo Deathstarr on my list of new albums, their name was so clever that I had to at least give them a listen. And I wasn't ready for what I was about to hear.

Ringo Deathstarr has captured the heart of shoegaze perfectly. It's a great combination of My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain. The albums opening track, Imagine Hearts, instantly bring MBV to mind, and that's not a bad thing. It's not a cheap My Bloody Valentine knock off band, its quality shoegaze, and similarities and spot on.

The album is a beautiful hybrid of MBV and Slowdive (MBV musically, Slowdive vocally). Until you get to the last couple of tracks. Chloe plays like an alternative universe version of Starflyer 59 while Never Drive and You Don't Listen sounds like a b-side lifted from The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy.

Colour Trip is like being in a time machine. It's pure late 80's/early 90's shoegaze and it's pretty amazing. While it might not be the most original album musically you'll hear this year, and their name more then makes up for the lack of musical originality, Ringo Deathstarr have created a new shoegaze masterpiece that shouldn't be missed.

No comments: