Monday, May 16, 2011

Classic Album: P.O.D. - The Fundamental Elements of Southtown

It's been twelve years since Southtown was released... TWELVE YEARS!!! I remember waiting and waiting for this record to come out. I know a lot of fans have a connection with Brown, and that Satellite was P.O.D.'s biggest album (which turns ten in September...wow). But The Fundamental Elements of Southtown was an album that exploded P.O.D. in the spotlight.


Southtown is an incredible record and an important record for Christian music. P.O.D. was the first band to really break through and rise above being just a "Christian band".

But outside of what the record did for P.O.D. and Christian music, the record flat out destroys. Yes, the interludes slow things down at times, but the every song is solid.

As Sonny screams "You'll never get the best of me" on the end of Hollywood, you know you're listening to something special. When Southtown kicks in and P.O.D. explodes, my world was rocked. Rock the Party is a super fun song and it's no wonder why it was the first rock video to ever hit number one on TRL. Lie Down doesn't get the praise it deserves. By far my song on the album. The change of pace on Set Your Eyes to Zion is a nice break in the record. The cover of Bullet the Blue Sky puts U2's version to shame. And the record ends with Outkast... Again, one of the strongest tracks on the album and all around killer song.

Not even taking into account the major impact the record had, the Fundamental Elements of Southtown is so solid a record from start to finish that it deserves all the praise it got and probably more. Southtown was P.O.D.'s coming out party and they delivered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

3rd attempt at a comment:

this is my top rapcore album of all time. I cant think of another album that combines rap + hardcore as well.

Patton said...

This is my favorite but .rod Laver's Essence of the Game is probably the most hardcore rapcore album.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about Essence! I just went back and listened to it lately and really liked it. I actually bought that album back when it came out, but didnt really like it. It was too harsh (hardcore) for me at the time.

I enjoy Trying Not to Try more though.

Patton said...

I saw rod Laver like 5 times while they were touring Essense so I loe that record but I agree that Trying Not to Try is by far their best work.