Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Storm of Light - As the Valley of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade

I know people who read this blog would agree with me that metalcore is played out. We wish a movement of Christian stoner/doom/sludge metal bands would emerge in the current scene. But since it hasn't happened, we'll (I'll) continue listening to mainstream stoner metal.

A Storm of Light has been around a couple years and features former members of Neurosis and Red Sparowes. As The Valley of Death is the band's third full-length record. And if you have any remote interest in doom metal, you should pick this album up. Think along the lines of a less evil sounding Neurosis.

As soon as Missing kicked in, I was hooked. A very driving song with a sick guitar solo (and I love guitar solos). As the Valley never gets too heavy, relying on strong riffs, good melodies, and strong musicianship to carry the album. While not as proggy as Mastodon's Crack the Skye, it's a good reference for the textures on As the Valley of Death.

I don't know how this album compares to A Storm of Light's previous albums but on its own merit, it's a killer record. The solos are solid, the songs are strong and never too long. If you're in need of a good doom metal record, I recommend picking this one up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its getting to the point now where I'm pretty sure the stoner/sludge genre will get played out and fade away before the christian market really ever had any knowledge of it. There's really only a very small handful of bands that would fit in the genre(s) and its just a shame because I'm really into it right now.

Hands new song is good, so who knows maybe a couple more bands will jump on the bandwagon.

I've never heard of A Storm of Light, but that song (collapse) is amazing! Checking into these guys immediately.