Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Insyderz - The Sinner's Songbook

You wait and wait and hope for a band to resurface or for a new album from a favorite artist so much so that your hopes and ideas of what the album will sound like will almost always fall short (See The Get Up Kids' There Are Rules).

The Insyderz have teased The Sinner's Songbook for a a couple of years now. It was supposed to see a release last year but funding issues overtook the album and it was pushed back and a Kickstarter campaign was started to raise support for the album. The Sinner's Songbook is the first of the big 3 ska reunions to give us a full-legnth. The Insyderz never got the same press and hype that Five Iron Frenzy and The Supertones got but I always felt like The Insyderz were the strongest of the 3 and always released strong albums start to finish.

So I can't help but be a little disappointed that The Sinner's Songbook isn't a 10.

Now, it's not a bad record. In fact, it's a really good record. But there are a couple moments that I'm not super stoked about.

Angel of Death doesn't open the record off on the strongest note. I like the solemn horn the opens the song but it just takes a while for me to me like, "Ok, I dig this." But I dig it for that long. Matt Baird from Spoken adds his vocals on the song and it just doesn't do anything for me. The Nevermind Kids picks things up. Upbeats. It makes my little heart smile. The Sinner's Songbook is a nice song and I like Reese Roper and Matt Morginsky adding their vocals to the track. Send the Fire and Our Darkest Hour kind of pick up where Soundtrack to a Revolution left off. It's clearly a new direction but it's a similar wave length. All Creatures is booth a killer roots/reggae track and an acknowledgement of the band's worship albums. Like Drawing Blood From a Baby is probably my favorite track on the record. Has a great aggression and a fun ska spirit that the Insyderz always balanced nicely.

It's a solid record and I'm glad to have ska back. The Insyderz haven't lost a step but there's just something that seems to be missing. Maybe it's just too high expectations not being met. And that would be my fault, not the band's.




No comments: