Tuesday, September 18, 2012

White Collar Sideshow - The WitcHunt

I'm usually one to buy whatever it is Come and Live is selling but the White Collar Sideshow has been an exception. Just something about the band has always escaped me. I'd figure a band that hints at Tantrum of the Muse would strike my fancy but White Collar Sideshow has always just been weird enough for me to not get into.

But there's something different about The WitcHunt. It's more... Sinister... More carnival... More industrial. It really does play like a circus gone awry.

The WitcHunt is horror movie. A fun horror movie, but a horror movie none the less. At times I'm reminded of Nine Inch Nails (really really really early NIN), Mortal, and Massivivid but it comes in spurts.

American Lies is a dark and mysterious track but the chorus has this incredible element of whimsy that creates interesting textures and emotions when you listen to the song. Go Eat Wormshas a great driving percussion section that drives the song with a hard hitting feel. This Is A Kill moves at a slow pace while Moonshines hits full blown industrial status. Black Heart Hearse is a circus version of what made Marilyn Manson so popular. It's a gothic circus. Dark but fun.

The WitcHunt is completely original and has enough fun and whimsy that I think even if you're not a fan of dark, gloomy music, you'll find something really enjoyable about this record. Even if you're not a fan of White Collar Sideshow, as I wasn't, I'd still give this record a spin.

No comments: