Sunday, April 21, 2013

Citizens - Citizens

I wasn't sure about Citizens... I hadn't listened to a track but I wasn't sure none-the-less.

The band's new self-titled record sounds like what I imagine The Classic Crime would sound like if they were an 80's new wave band. Citizens is much less electronic 80's than recent offerings from Lovelite, Hillsong, and Jeff Schneeweis. It's the arrangements that gives Citizens an 80's feel, which is a nice change from the influx of electronic worship records lately.

Sweetness In Freedom is a great upbeat rock song. It's not at all what I expected to hear but it caught my attention and made me want to listen to the record. The song has great swing and movement that reminds of a more rocking Arcade Fire. It's the kind of worship song I'd love to play in church! In Tenderness starts pretty sweet with a nice piano riff but when the hook hits, the song would get any audience dancing. Made Alive has a beautifully chunky bass line throughout the song. Jesus is more of a straight forward pop song.

Citizens debut will appeal to the indie rock fans. If you like Arcade Fire and always wished there was a worship band with a similar sound, Citizens is that band for you. I enjoyed Citizen's debut a lot more than I thought I would. A great, fun worship album.

No comments: