Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fit For A King - Creation/Destruction

Regardless of what I think of Fit For A King's Solid State Records debut, Creation/Destruction, the band is a success. The band now holds the highest first week sales and highest first week charting album the label has had to date. Kudos.

Musically, I liked Creation/Destruction the longer I listened to the album. I don't mean repeated listens to the album but with each track. As I hit play each time and the intro gives way into a metalcore riff I've heard before, I inwardly sigh and groan a little. But with each passing track I find my head bobbing  a little more and myself enjoy the record more and more.

Fit For A King isn't blazing a new trail. Bands like The Great Commission, For Today and countless others have brought the brand of metalcore/deathcore to us before. Creation/Destruction is heavy with a smattering of clean vocals on the hooks. It's a heavy record that we've all heard before.

But I like heavy music. And despite my constant bitching about the current state of heavy music and how much all the sampled drums and chopped, processed guitars, and cookie cutter songs bug me, I still listen to it. And Fit For A King is another band that will be in my collection.

Creation/Destruction isn't my favorite record in the world. But it is a record that I can have iniTunes and throughly enjoy when it comes on.




No comments: