Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cave In - White Silence

Cave In’s White Silence wasn’t one of my most anticipated albums of the year only because I didn’t know Cave In was releasing an album in 2011. So catching the release date on the PRP got me pretty excited. Cave In has always done what they want and they always deliver something different on each record. Whether it’s their hardcore masterpiece Until Your Heart Stops, their experimental rock album Jupiter, or their two alternative records Antenna and Pitch Perfect Black, Cave In has always put out solid records.

The band’s reunion ep, Planets of Old, was a perfect combination of everything Cave In had done in their career and it was some of the best music the band had ever released and I had high expectations for White Silence.

The problem is Cave In does whatever they want and they’ve gone too far with that idea on White Silence. The line between experimenting and making quality music has been blurred and it’s almost completely disastrous.

The title track kicks the album off when a pretty unbearable noise/rock sound that’s so odd I thought it was a joke at first. The production seems low budget and I was waiting for the real track to begin. So much so that even when the song ended I though for sure that Serpents was going to be the first real track on the album. And Serpents is better, but it’s clear that Cave In is going somewhere… else on this album.

Sings My Love is more in the vain of Planets of Old and it’s also the best song on the album. The guitar lines are great, the hook is memorable, the vocals outstanding. It’s the only song on the album that holds any semblance to anything remotely Cave In. And even then the song takes 3 and half minutes to kick in and get started. Vicious Circles is a cool stoner metal type song. I like the song but like every other track on the album, it takes you by surprise.

And those are the only two songs worth noting. The album is all over the place in a bad way. Cave In really lost me with White Silence. 6 spins in and I’m just still so disappointed in this album. I don’t even think this album is a must have for die hard Cave In fans like myself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like you didn´t get it.

Patton said...

Obviously

Wisdom Eye said...

There's nothing wrong with a band doing whatever they want. It's art, after all. To each their own, but try and put more substance into your reviews, even if they're negative.

Patton said...

I don't have an issue with Cave In or any band doing whatever they want. It's there place and music to with whatever they want.

But sadly, I didn't enjoy the album and was disappointed. Just my opinion.

Yeah, not a lot of info in this review. Not one of my best. Thanks for reading.

Brian Welfle said...

Hey everybody, I heard Bryan Patton smells weird.

Brian Welfle said...

I also hear that he was born without any open orifices on his body and his nipples are shaped like triangles.

Brian Welfle said...

Not to mention a really nice guy and a hell of a musician.

Cobas said...

Well, it is a hard album to digest. But musically I think it is brilliant. I believe that the production has made you feel this way. Personally it took a few spins to get used to it, but I think that the band couldn't have surprised me in a better way than this. It would be interesting (but improbable) to hear this album with another mastering.