Friday, June 17, 2011

Dynasty - Truer Living WIth a Youthful Vengeance

Declaring hardcore is back would mean that hardcore went away and that statement wouldn't be completely true. Hardcore has always existed on some level, even if the current heavy music trends aren't favorable to hardcore. While deathcore, metalcore, screamo, or whatever else you want to call the current scene of popular heavy music, if you dig around, there's always hardcore somewhere. As I've noted, Blood and Ink is doing hardcore extremely well, and extremely old school.

So what is it about Dynasty's debut, Truer Living With a Youthful Vengeance that makes me want to scream that hardcore is back? Well I'm not entirely sure. The record has an old school vibe and I was instantly brought back to the great Erie Pennsylvania hardcore scene of the mid to late 90's. Bands like xDisciplex Ad, Shockwave, and Dodgin Bullets all came to mind. My high school days come rushing back, and maybe that's why I want to declare hardcore as "back". Because Truer Living inspires a sense of nostalgia in me.

Truer Living is full of hardcore sing-a-long anthems but never over doing it on the gang chants. It's just fun, well done hardcore and it's hard to ask for more. While the hooks are instantly catchy and memorable, they do grow on you in time and after multiple listens I found myself able to sing along.

If Dynasty is the future of Christian hardcore, the genre is in good hands. A fantastic debut and I imagine these guys will find themselves on Facedown sooner rather than later. This isn't a record to miss if you're a hardcore fan.

1 comment:

critter said...

thoroughly enjoyed your rapcore article. word on .rod laver. i'm looking forward to perusing your blog. best wishes.