Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lecrae - Church Clothes

When I heard Rehab, I wasn't feeling it. There was something about the album that wasn't my brand of hip-hop. Like I've said about a number of records, it was for the kids. Needless to say I never listened to the record again. So when Lecrae release his new mixtape, Church Clothes, I wasn't super excited about it but at the same time I was ready to give Lecrae a second chance.

Church Clothes works for me. I don't know if it's a change in my perspective or a change in what Lecrae is doing. Working with different producers and artists helps. I was really excited to see 9th Wonder's name as one of the producers. The variety of producers and guest appearances creates an interesting mix of styles and keeps things fresh.

Given the variety on the record, there's something for everybody. Tracks like Church Clothes, Rise, Darkest Hour, No Regrets all standout to me and are favorites of mine, while songs like H Town, Black Rose and Special don't do anything for me. And that's ok. Because there's so many different things happening from track to track, it makes for a great listen.

The real star of Church Clothes is Lecrae's lyrics. From outspoken tracks declaring his faith to tackling deeper issues like church corruption, problems with the state of hip-hop, and more, Lecare brings it lyrically on every track. It's always been and continues to be Lecrae's strong suit.

Church Clothes is an extremely well put together mixtape that features tons of great producers, guest MC's and showcases Lecrae perfectly.

You can download Church Clothes for free at http://www.datpiff.com/Lecrae-Church-Clothes-mixtape.348497.html

No comments: