Monday, May 21, 2012

To Speak of Wolves - Find Your Worth, Come Home

When To Speak of Wolves signed to Solid State Records, I was excited. The band's self-released ep, Following Voices, was a stellar post-hardcore record and I was excited for the band's full-length. But Myself < Letting Go didn't do it for me. The band lost their roots and fell into a standard metalcore/post-hardcore sound that just didn't work me. But a switch in vocalist had me interested in Find Your Worth, Come Home.

My first comment on the record: Gage Speas - WOW! To Speak of Wolves new front man is impressive. Dude has some pipes and is a monster frontman.

The overall new direction is heavy. It's actually the record I had hoped Underoath would make when Aaron left the band. Heavy, brutal, dark, hints of great melody. And this isn't a false heaviness either. No bass drops, overly compressed drums or guitars. The riffs are dark and dirty, the vocals are nice and aggressive, and Phil Chamberlin's drumming is on point. Everything about this record works.

But as great as the album is, the best moment is the last track. Rearview Memories features great spoken word pieces from Bree Macllister and Levi the Poet. The track is so moving and emotionally passionate during the spoken word pieces that I teared up the first listen through. When the band kicks in the song is every bit as heavy as the rest of the record but the spoken word pieces just add an extra element that make it such a fantastic song.

If you're like me and weren't a fan of Myself < Letting Go you should still check out Find Your Worth, Come Home. To Speak of Wolves have reinvented themselves and released and amazing record.

No comments: