Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Kiros - Lay Your Weapons Down

Aint No Grave Records have assembled a pretty impressive line-up of heavy bands. Sleeping Giant, The Great Commission, As Hell Retreats. Pretty solid line-up. The latest addition to the ANGR Family, Kiros, looks like they fit the bill but the Canadian rock quartet will throw listeners for a loop.

Lay Your Weapons Down is a little hit or miss for me. And maybe that's because I came in with the wrong perception of what I might hear. I knew it wasn't going to be a metal record but my hope was that I was going to at least get an ear splitting rock and roll record. But that's not the kind of band Kiros is. Kiros would fit just as nicely on a label like Forefront or BEC and that's not what I was expecting from a band on ANGR.

The album starts off strong. Broken State is my favorite song on the album and is just a killer rock song. One Thing, Outlaws & Prodigals, and Unshaken are solid tracks and it's a great start for Lay Your Weapons Down. But then the record loses me a little. What Can Stop Me Now, Passing Through, Found Me, and Something Beautiful all play on an adult/soft rock style. It's not bad but it's just not very interesting.

Maybe my expectations are keeping me from truly enjoying this record. There are some solid rock songs but as I whole I just couldn't really get into it.

No comments: