Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lovedrug - Wild Blood

Sometimes it only takes 30 seconds to realize the record you're listening to is a hit. The opening riff to Wild Blood had me hooked instantly and by the time the hook to the song came on, I knew I was going to be hitting the repeat button as soon as the song ended.

Ever since Kerith Ravine ended and Michael Shepard started Lovedrug, I've been a fan. Lovedrug has always put out great music but they've never been able to release an album that had it all. Each album has just lacked a certain energy that has kept the band from really breaking through.

But Wild Blood has it. It has that wow factor. It has that something that makes you want to keep listening. It's not magic or voodoo. It's good songs, with great energy and passion that's compelling to listen to.

As stated, Wild Blood kicks off with the title track and it's a great attention grabber. The opening riff draws you in and the hook is so catchy that you can't help but sing along. Dinosaur has a steady groove that's sure to leave a smile and get people dancing. Premonition and Pink Champagne are great rock ballads. Each song plays so beautiful and interestingly into the next. Each song is just as catchy as the last, the hooks slowly working their way into your brain.

Wild Blood is Lovedrug best record yet and my favorite album of the year so far. A great rock and roll album.

2 comments:

Kevin Finch said...

One of my favorite lovedrug albums so far, I hope this is the one that makes em big. Its definitely the most mainstream.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the way they recorded the album had something to do with it. Ask anyone who's seen them live and they'll tell you how incredibly tight as a unit they are.

I saw them play in Nashville on March 6 and I can tell you straight up no-BS... they sound EXACTLY like they do on the album. They're just that tuned/dialed in with each other.