Friday, March 9, 2012

See The Light - Tepid

See The Light's debut ep Maranatha was a little... Disjointed? Unfocused? It wasn't a bad ep, it was just a little hard to stay with.

Tepid is more focus and streamlined. It flows much nicer than Maranatha. The guitars aren't super djent with crazy breakdowns. Gone are the random mid-song keyboard solo. It's a much cleaner metalcore record. The problem with Tepid is because you lose all those little quirks that made Maranatha a little scattered, it quickly becomes a boring one note metalcore record. Lifeless, Decay, and Drench kick off the record on a really solid note but after Disconnect_The Desirable, a spoken word piece, the album tails off a little. Malcontent is still solid but after that I find myself becoming disinterested. The songs aren't bad but I feel like I'm listening to the same song over and over again.

Tepid is step up for See The Light. The songwriting is solid and it's a good album. But I'm not into metalcore enough for the album to hold my interest the entire time.

1 comment:

Josiah:Bibb said...

I thought a lot of the same things about this record. I actually really loved the EP for all its quirks. Tepid hasn't grabbed me in quite the same way.