Monday, April 23, 2012

Moving Mountains - New Light EP

Waves was one of my favorite albums last year. It came out of nowhere. I'm not even sure how I got a hold of that record or where the knowledge of Moving Mountains came from but once I heard the record I was glad I did. It blew me away. So of course I was stoked for a new ep.

New Light is an acoustic ep featuring two tracks from Waves and two from Pneuma. What makes Moving Mountains such a great band is the atmosphere they create, so stripping that away gives the songs a new life. Alleviate was the "heaviest" track on Waves and it makes sense that it kicks off New Light. The screaming is gone and the song has a serene quality about it that isn't on the original. You can really hear the Appleseed Cast influence on Ode We Will Bury Ourselves. Stripping it back and making this epic eight minute song a track that clocks in at under five minutes really changes the dynamic. Where Two Bodies Lie is one of my favorite tracks on Waves and hearing the acoustic version is really nice. 8105 brings back in some of the ambience that Moving Mountains does really well.

The songs aren't new but they feel like new life has been breathed into them. New Light is just more great music from Moving Mountains.

No comments: