Friday, April 27, 2012

Rocky Loves Emily - Secrets Don't Make Friends

I didn't really have nice things to say about Rocky Loves Emily's debut ep American Dream. Well... I actually didn't say much about the ep itself. I took my time to rant about Tooth and Nail and the state of music and how kids these days listen to music that I think is garbage. You know... General old guy bitterness.

The band's new full-legnth starts off pretty good actually. I Don't Like You You is a solid rock and roll track and starts the album off on a high note. Lyrically Drivin' Me Crazy is immature and a little silly but the hook is great and I thought maybe my thoughts on Rocky Loves Emily were going to change.

But the title track and Oil& Water lose me. Both bring the energy down. Secrets Don't Make Friends is a ukulele away from being a high school hipsters favorite new song. Oil & Water has a weird country twang to it that I can't get in to. Be Mine Tonight punches it back up with an almost 80's synth lead line but by this point, I'm done. Nightmare sounds like they changed the opening chord progression from Smells Like Teen Spirit to make it a happy, poppy song.

Again, young music fans will probably love this record and Tooth and Nail likely has another hit record on their hands. But this old guy just isn't digging it.

No comments: