Friday, April 13, 2012

Trip Lee - The Good Life

Sometimes it only takes one song to get you hooked on an album. Normally that track isn't one of the last cuts on an album. But for Trip Lee's The Good Life that was the case.

I was listening to The Good Life and I was honestly enjoying really enjoying the record. Solid hip-hop that is just as good if not better than anything on the radio. The Good Life has a place among any of Trip Lee's secular contemporaries. But the instant that For My Good (featuring Jai) started playing I stopped what I was doing to see what track it was. When it finished, I hit repeat. While The Good Life is full of great tracks, For My Good is the first track that stood out as fun. The beat is upbeat and the hook, which Jai sings, is super clever and catchy. It's hip-pop goodness from start to finish. A radio single that is destined to be a hit.

There are tons of great tracks on The Good Life outside of For My Good. The title track features J.R. and Sho Baraka and kicks the album off on a really strong note. I'm Good featuring Lecare, iLove, Take Me There featuring Jimmy Needham, and Good Thing featuring Leah Smith are all killer tracks.

The Good Life is a solid hip-hop record and really pushes Trip Lee into territory where big things good be on the horizon for him. A stellar record all around.

No comments: