Tuesday, April 3, 2012

MxPx - Plans Within Plans

I remember the first time I heard Mxpx. In junior high I would tape G-Rock and watch it Sunday mornings before heading to church. I remember seeing the video for Punk Rawk Show. Punk rock was introduced into my life and MxPx would become a staple in my musical life.

It's a little hard for me to be biased on a review of an Mxpx record. The band has been one of my favorites for over 15 years. While some records in the bands discography I enjoy less than others, there's not an album Mxpx have released that I don't like and enjoy.

The bad's last full-length, Secret Weapon, felt like Mxpx was re-energized and rejuvenated. The band's last ep, Left Coast Punk, was the best music the band had released since Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo. Plans Within Plans is far better than both of those records and sounds like Mxpx is in their prime again.

Aces Up kicks the record off strong with what I'd call a typical Mxpx pop punk classic. Screw Loose is a short fast punk song that jumps right into Nothing Left. The Times has a great bass intro. Best of Times and Lucky Guy are the best hooks on the record. Far Away, the album's first single, is just a killer, punch you in the face punk song. Nothing's Gonna Change reminds me a lot tracks from The Ever Passing Moment.

13 tracks clocking in at just over 35 minutes. Each song just as good as the last. There's no filler on Plans Within Plans. Mxpx have delivered a stellar record and their best record since Slowly Going The Way of the Buffalo. Ever track is a hit and this record is enjoyable from start to finish. After one listen the songs sound familiar and I found myself singing along.

Plans Within Plans is Album of the Year material.

No comments: